Plumbing is a crucial element to any home. Without it, it’s going to be hard to take a shower, wash the dishes, and water your plants. Since so many plumbing repairs can be prevented, it’s important that you know how to properly maintain your plumbing. Even if you don’t have the slightest clue about how the plumbing works in your home, these are five things that anyone can do:
1. Watch what you flush. When flushing the toilet, make sure that you avoid overrunning the system. Too much toilet paper, baby wipes and non-decomposing materials can often clog the lines. Never flush items items that belong in the trash can because this will only make matters worse.
2. Avoid chemicals. When cleaning your drains or around the toilet bowl, try to avoid using harsh chemicals. These chemicals can cause corrosion and encourage leaks down the road. Instead, consider natural cleaners such as lemon juice or vinegar.
3. Get inspections. Every three to four years, it’s important that you get your home’s plumbing and septic tank checked. If a plumber can find problems early, they can save you a lot of money in the long run. Inspections are very inexpensive and can save you a large headache in the future.
4. Don’t wait! Anytime you smell something, detect a leak or see something malfunctioning, don’t just let it sit there. Instead, you’re going to want to check out the problem right away. By resolving the issue as soon as possible, that leak won’t turn into a potential flood.
5. Consider filters. If the drains in your home don’t have any filters, it may be time to consider one. These filters will help prevent large solid materials from entering the pipelines. It can also prevent food such as rice and meat from entering the drain too. A drain cover is inexpensive and can greatly prevent this from happening.
By following these five tips, you should have one of the safest plumbing systems on the block. If you ever suspect a problem that you don’t know how to fix, don’t wait! Instead, call the professionals so that the job is done properly the first time.
At Arrow Plumbing, we believe that if you’re not happy, we’re not finished! We’re your full-service plumbing specialists in Little Rock and the surrounding areas and we want to show you the Arrow Plumbing difference! Give us a call today at 501-753-3838!